There has been a substantial increase in the number of cancer patients in the country between 2011 and 2013. In a written reply to the Rajya Sabha, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi Azad said the prevalence of cancer has increased by 114,857 between this period.
Quoting data from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Azad said the number (estimated) of cancer patients (prevalence) during 2011, 2012 and 2013 are 2819457, 2820179 and 2934314 respectively.
But there is some good news as far as the fight against AIDS is concerned. The minister informed the House that the number of HIV infected cases in the country has come down from 317336 in 2011 to 245859 in 2013. “The number of HIV infected cases in the country, as reported by Department of AIDS Control, during 2010-11, 2011-12, and 2012-13 are 317336, 285152 and 245859 respectively,” Azad said.
Reports of tuberculosis cases have not shown any marked difference. However, under Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP), in these years, the treatment success rate in TB patients is about 88 per cent for new smear positive patients. Though the number of cases has come down by a marginal 54562, but continues to hover over 1467585.
Azad said the total number of TB patients registered under the RNTCP during 2010, 2011 and 2012 are 1522147, 1515872, and 1467585 respectively.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review