There has been a substantial increase in the number of cancer patients in the country between 2011 and 2013. In a written reply to the Rajya Sabha, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi Azad said the prevalence of cancer has increased by 114,857 between this period.
Quoting data from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Azad said the number (estimated) of cancer patients (prevalence) during 2011, 2012 and 2013 are 2819457, 2820179 and 2934314 respectively.
But there is some good news as far as the fight against AIDS is concerned. The minister informed the House that the number of HIV infected cases in the country has come down from 317336 in 2011 to 245859 in 2013. “The number of HIV infected cases in the country, as reported by Department of AIDS Control, during 2010-11, 2011-12, and 2012-13 are 317336, 285152 and 245859 respectively,” Azad said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Reports of tuberculosis cases have not shown any marked difference. However, under Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP), in these years, the treatment success rate in TB patients is about 88 per cent for new smear positive patients. Though the number of cases has come down by a marginal 54562, but continues to hover over 1467585.
Azad said the total number of TB patients registered under the RNTCP during 2010, 2011 and 2012 are 1522147, 1515872, and 1467585 respectively.