The demolition of illegal flats in Campa Cola compound beginning June 20 will be filmed and used as proof against the residents if they offer resistance, the city’s municipal body said on Tuesday.
“We will be video-recording the entire demolition process, which we will carry out from June 20, so that it can be used as proof against residents in the Supreme Court if they stop us from performing our duties,” Mohan Adtani, additional municipal commissioner, told PTI.
At the first stage of eviction, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) will cut off electricity, water and gas supplies to the illegally built flats. Internal walls of the flats would be pulled down in the second phase before finally demolishing the balconies.
Adtani said the demolition process was slated to start today but was defererred on humanitarian grounds following the death of two residents.
“We had planned to start the demolition drive from June 17, but we have now given the residents 3 more days to vacate the flats after the death of two residents. We will now start the demolition from June 20,” he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The families of the deceased residents would be given extra time so that they can complete the last rituals, he said.
Campa Cola’s first resident, Vinod Kothari (82), died on June 15 after a heart attack while 83-year old Chakravarti Chawla, a refugee from Pakistan, who had been hospitalised after suffering from kidney failure, expired on June 8.
Meanwhile, residents of Campa Cola said MCGM should extend their ‘humanitarian gesture’ to other residents as well.
“It is heartening to know that the MCGM has some humanity left in them. We sincerely hope that this humanitarian gesture gets extended to other residents as well. We, as citizens, expect the MCGM to take a humane approach to this issue,” Ankit Garg, a resident said.
Seven buildings of Campa Cola Housing Society in south Mumbai were constructed between 1981 and 1989. The builders had permission for only six floors, but one of the buildings ‘Midtown’, has 20 floors and another ‘Orchid’ 17.
As many as 102 illegal flats in the seven buildings in the compound are to be razed.