A top RSS functionary on Monday suggested that Lord Buddha never declared leaving Hinduism to form a new religion. Speaking at a condolence meeting, RSS joint general secretary Krishna Gopal blamed the British for trying to divide Hindu religion.
“Buddhists are not Hindus and Hindus are not Buddhist. There are deep differences between them; that one derives from Vedic traditions while the other follows non-Vedic traditions. Britishers tried to establish these beliefs deeply,” Gopal said at Jhandewalan.
“Buddhist intellectuals know that Lord Buddha remained a Hindu life-long. Never in his life did he declare to have quit Hindu religion or Sanatan religion or Vedic religion to form a new religion or sect. He never said so,” Gopal said. The RSS leader said Buddha only propagated values like mercy, love, compassion, and affection which, in fact, are the essence of Hinduism.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
“Slowly, he developed a tradition of meditation. He proceeded on the tradition to overcome misery. Mercy, love, compassion and affection are the essence of Vedic religion, of the entire Hindu religion,” Krishna Gopal said.
“Yes, he distanced from some rituals. He did not address few questions because those issues used to create controversy. Whether God exists, whether aatma is real… questions are not easy to answer in a fashion where everyone could agree. That is why Buddha remained silent,” he said.