BSP leader and coordinator for Azamgarh division Mithailal Bharti has been booked for allegedly attempting to rape a party worker in Ballia district.
Police lodged the FIR, with charges of molestation and attempt to rape, on Thursday after the woman submitted a complaint to DIG, Azamgarh Range. The alleged incident took place on May 25.
- Rape accused gets pre-arrest bail: 'Complainant was educated, knew what was good and bad for her,' rules Bombay HC
- Man held for raping mentally-ill woman, cops say she denies it
- Muzaffarnagar: Holding her infant at knifepoint, four ‘rape’ 26-year-old
- Tarun Tejpal charged with rape: Timeline of ex-Tehelka editor's case so far
- Self-styled godman Falahari Maharaj arrested on charges of rape in Rajasthan
- BSP man surrenders in rape case
Phephna Station officer Shyamji Singh Yadav said the woman, who was known to Bharti, had alleged she was in Phephna and was waiting to go to Ghazipur on May 25, when the BSP leader reached there in his car.
He offered to drop her at her destination and molested her in the car, she alleged, adding that he also tried to rape her.
Bharti declined to comment on the allegations.