BSP leader and coordinator for Azamgarh division Mithailal Bharti has been booked for allegedly attempting to rape a party worker in Ballia district.
Police lodged the FIR, with charges of molestation and attempt to rape, on Thursday after the woman submitted a complaint to DIG, Azamgarh Range. The alleged incident took place on May 25.
- Haryana mulls enhancing punishment in rape cases where victim is minor
- Coach booked under POCSO for trying to rape minor athletes
- Chargesheet filed against Kerala Congress MLA M Vincent in rape case
- Sambhal: Cop held, son booked for kidnapping, raping woman
- Gurgaon woman alleges molestation in cab, forced to file robbery complaint
- Shimla: One booked on rape charges
Phephna Station officer Shyamji Singh Yadav said the woman, who was known to Bharti, had alleged she was in Phephna and was waiting to go to Ghazipur on May 25, when the BSP leader reached there in his car.
He offered to drop her at her destination and molested her in the car, she alleged, adding that he also tried to rape her.
Bharti declined to comment on the allegations.