BSP leader and coordinator for Azamgarh division Mithailal Bharti has been booked for allegedly attempting to rape a party worker in Ballia district.
Police lodged the FIR, with charges of molestation and attempt to rape, on Thursday after the woman submitted a complaint to DIG, Azamgarh Range. The alleged incident took place on May 25.
- Unnao rape case: Don’t just detain, arrest BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar, Allahabad HC directs CBI
- Unnao rape case — CBI takes over, HC asks: Why delay MLA arrest?
- Unnao rape case: BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar detained by CBI
- Domestic violence: Court issues warrant against AAP MLA Somnath Bharti
- Delhi HC allows Somnath Bharti, his wife to settle matrimonial dispute
- Women’s cell records Mohammad Shami’s wife statement
Phephna Station officer Shyamji Singh Yadav said the woman, who was known to Bharti, had alleged she was in Phephna and was waiting to go to Ghazipur on May 25, when the BSP leader reached there in his car.
He offered to drop her at her destination and molested her in the car, she alleged, adding that he also tried to rape her.
Bharti declined to comment on the allegations.