Six months after the Ramban incident in Jammu left six people dead and more than 40 injured, the Border Security Force (BSF) indicted two of its men on disciplinary grounds. The officer in charge of the security post where the flare-up took place reached the site more than seven hours after the incident, the BSF report says. After the incident — in July, 2013 — BSF had maintained that the men fired in self-defencewhen a mob attacked their security post, and a similar report was submitted to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
The incident spiralled into a law and order problem with curfew imposed in many parts of the Valley. J&K CM Omar Abdullah had called the incident “highly unacceptable.”
After the incident, BSF ordered a staff court of inquiry (SCOI), which ended last week.
On July 17, Mohammad Lateef, a local imam was stopped by a BSF patrol party near Dharam post in Ramban district and asked to prove his identity. He said he was beaten up by BSF men who desecrated the Quran. Around 9 am the next day, 700-800 men gathered outside the BSF camp and pelted stones. BSF officials said the crowd tried to enter their camp forcing them to open fire. Four men were killed. Two died later.
A senior official said: “The SCOI report has not been accepted and it is up to DG, BSF, to accept or reject it. During the inquiry it has been brought out that it was the local imam who incited the mob. The two men against whom action has been recommended are the local commandant and the commanding officer. Though the commandant was informed at 9 pm on the day of the incident he reported to the camp only around 7 am the next day.”