The Bombay High Court on Friday granted interim bail to social activist Teesta Setalvad and her husband Javed Anand for three weeks while acting on an anticipatory bail application jointly moved by the two in connection with a recent criminal case of cheating and breach of trust registered against them by Ahmedabad City Detection of Crime Branch (DCB).
A bench comprising Justice Mridula Bhatkar passed an order in this regard, said Setalvad.
In their application, the two contended that they were framed by Gujarat Police with mala fide intention because of the consistent legal support provided by their organisation, Citizens for Justice and Peace, to the victims of the 2002 Gujarat riots.
They also contended that the criminal case was an attempt by DCB to intimidate human rights activists.
Setalvad also contended that this was the fifth case registered against her in Gujarat because of her support to the riots victims.
In their petition, the two have also contended that the FIR was the latest effort of intimidation by the “powerful forces in Gujarat who wish(ed) to stymie the appeal in the Zakia Jafri case”.
Although, the case against them is registered in Gujarat, the duo have demanded anticipatory bail from the Bombay High Court on the ground that since they live in Mumbai the court has jurisdiction over the issue.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing