Having ensured overwhelming electoral success for the party in Uttar Pradesh, BJP general secretary and PM Narendra Modi’s close aide Amit Shah is anxiously waiting in the wings for impending organisational changes in the party.
While one of Modi’s loyalists, Anandiben Patel, has benefited, becoming the Gujarat CM, Shah has only been made chairman of the Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA) — a post vacated by Modi — so far. “I am humbled by your greetings & blessings. Looking forward to serve Gujarat Cricket,” Shah tweeted on Friday.
However, party leaders suggest he is slated for a bigger role. “After BJP’s impressive tally in Uttar Pradesh, he is the new star in the party,” said a senior BJP leader, underlining Shah’s importance in party’s organisational affairs from now on.
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
Since the last phase of voting on May 12, it has been a hectic phase for Shah. Upbeat over feedback from candidates and party workers from UP, he used the time till the counting of votes to spread the word in the media about the hard work that went into the state.
On the day results were announced, he addressed the media about the party’s stellar performance in UP to drive home the point to the party leadership.
Soon, he got busy with hectic preparations for Modi’s arrival in the Capital and then the PM’s visit to Varanasi, where he accompanied him. Then, he was involved in preparations for BJP’s parliamentary party meeting, followed by Modi’s goodbye visit to Gujarat when he resigned as the state CM.
Shah was also seen shuttling between Gujarat Bhavan, where Modi was camping, BJP president Rajnath Singh’s residence and Jhandelwalan, the local RSS office where top Sangh leaders were stationed, as part of pre-government formation consultations.
The schedule became less hectic when Modi was sworn-in on May 26. Since then, Shah has been focusing on recuperating and maintaining a healthy diet.
The next task before him is to identify candidates for 12 Assembly seats vacated by BJP MLAs after getting elected as LS members and find a suitable candidate for Mainpuri LS constituency vacated by SP chief Mulayam Singh.
People close to him indicate his eyes are firmly set on the impending organisational changes at the central party level. Sources said he would like clarity on his role as a new party chief could re-assign duties and entrust him with new responsibilities as BJP seeks to wrest Maharashtra, Haryana and Jharkhand Assemblies.