BJP, on Thursday, distanced itself from a party leader’s statement on tennis star Sania Mirza calling her a ‘daughter-in-law’ of Pakistan, saying it was not BJP’s position.
“This is not BJP’s position,” senior BJP leader and Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar said.
“Sania Mirza is a pride of India. Sania Mirza has an international standing on her own… So, we have no objection. I am sure she is pride of India. She is brand ambassador of India,” he said.
A controversy has erupted over Telangana government appointing 27-year-old Sania as the state’s brand ambassador with Telangana BJP leader K Laxman describing her as “non-local” and “daughter-in-law” of Pakistan.
“Sania was born in Maharashtra and settled in Hyderabad only later and, hence, is a non-local,” Laxman, the leader of
BJP in the state assembly, had said.
He dubbed her as “daughter-in-law” of Pakistan, as she is married to Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Malik. Describing Sania as the “daughter of Hyderabad”, Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao had on Tuesday appointed her as the state’s brand ambassador and handed over a cheque of Rs one crore.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review