The BJP on Friday launched a 68-page long “chargesheet” against the Congress-led UPA government terming the UPA’s 10-year-long reign as “a dark decade in governance”.
The BJP accused the PM of “compromising the dignity and integrity of the office of the prime minister” and said that instead of operating as the “final authority”, he worked more like “the CEO of a company” where the board was headed by Sonia and Rahul Gandhi.
Alleging that Manmohan Singh “made all compromises to remain in office”, the chargesheet said the PM failed to make a single intervention to contain the series of scams and loot of public money.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
The BJP also said UPA chairperson Sonia and Congress vice-president Rahul must share blame because “they wanted authority without accountability”. BJP leader Ravishankar Prasad, who unveiled the chargesheet, alleged the Congress had given the pride of place to “soft faces of Maoist-Leftist extremist violence” in the Sonia-led NAC, thereby weakening the fight against Left Wing Extremism. Targeting Defence Minister A K Antony, Prasad said the so-called “honest and clean defence minister” had actually become a symbol of “inaction and indecision”.
Blaming the UPA for destroying the economy, the chargehseet accuses the government of decimating the value of the rupee, failing to control price rise and slowing down infrastructure development. It lists 11 major scams under the UPA government, including the Robert Vadra land scam, cash-for-vote scam, Adarsh housing scam, AugustaWestland chopper scam, Tatra truck scam and KG basin oil scam among others.
The chargeshseet does a sector-wise dissection of the UPA’s performance and counts its many alleged failures in education, health, defence, internal and external security besides “weak” foreign policy.
It accuses the Congress of undermining important institutions like CAG, CVC, CBI, Joint Parliamentary Committees and the Public Accounts Committee among others. Tearing into the UPA on foreign policy issues, Prasad said delinking of terrorism and a dialogue with Pakistan were the biggest failures, focused on how Indo-US relations have plunged to an all-time low and how India gave up oil exploration in South China sea under pressure from China.
He said it was important to release this chargesheet before the BJP manifesto on April 7 to “remind people of UPA’s past”.