RJD leader and former animal husbandry minister Ramashray Sahni’s son Rajiv Shani was beaten to death by a group of people at a village in Samastipur, Bihar, while he was trying to escape allegedly after a failed attempt to steal a pick-up van on the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday.
The police said the incident took place at around 1.30 am when villagers overpowered Rajiv, 25, and his accomplice Rajaram Kevat as they were trying to flee Asimchak Sethia village under Dalsingsarai police station. Four other suspected accomplices, however, managed to escaped, said police.
A motorbike and a master key were also found from the spot. “We took the two to Dalsingsarai hospital where Rajiv was declared dead on arrival. Kevat is out of danger and has been referred to Darbhanga Medical College and Hospital,” said Dalisingsarai police station in-charge Animesh Kumar.
Samastipur SP Babu Ram said police were also questioning the villagers.
RJD spokesperson Mrityunjay Kumar Tiwari told The Indian Express that it was police’s responsibility to find out if Rajiv was a vehicle thief or not.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“The police should take stern action against those who took law in their hands,” Kumar added. Police sources said there were several complaints of vehicle theft against Rajiv, who resided at Korbaddha near Samastipur. A few years ago, 10 suspected thieves were beaten to death at Rajapakad under Vaishali.
Rajiv’s father, who is currently district unit president of the RJD, refused to comment and said he would speak on the incident only after identifying the body.