A 70-year-old man who was arrested for allegedly having an illegal electricity connection in his house Thursday evening, died while in police custody Friday morning at Shakurbad in Jehanabad district. On hearing about the incident, irate villagers roughed up policemen, a local legislator and torched a vehicle.
Devki Choudhary was arrested from Gagankura village and kept in the lock-up in Shakurbad police station. That night, policemen visited his house to inform his relatives he had fallen ill. His grandson visited him at the police station and told his family Choudhary was lying “motionless”. But Choudhary was only taken to Sadar Hospital the next morning where the doctor declared him dead on arrival. Jehanabad SP said, “We are investigating if he was suffering from any ailment and whether he was provided with warm clothes at the lock-up.”
Incensed by the incident, over 100 villagers surrounded the police station and roughed up the station in-charge Vijay Kumar and five other policemen. They also torched a car that was parked at the station.
A Jehanabad MLA who visited the victim’s family at hospital was also roughed up and had to leave the spot. Protestors blocked road traffic between Nehalpur and Pandaul for over four hours, demanding the immediate suspension of the police station in-charge.
Jehanabad SP said, “We are investigating if the man was suffering from any serious ailment and whether he was provided with warm clothes at the lock-up.”
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched