A 70-year-old man who was arrested for allegedly having an illegal electricity connection in his house Thursday evening, died while in police custody Friday morning at Shakurbad in Jehanabad district. On hearing about the incident, irate villagers roughed up policemen, a local legislator and torched a vehicle.
Devki Choudhary was arrested from Gagankura village and kept in the lock-up in Shakurbad police station. That night, policemen visited his house to inform his relatives he had fallen ill. His grandson visited him at the police station and told his family Choudhary was lying “motionless”. But Choudhary was only taken to Sadar Hospital the next morning where the doctor declared him dead on arrival. Jehanabad SP said, “We are investigating if he was suffering from any ailment and whether he was provided with warm clothes at the lock-up.”
Incensed by the incident, over 100 villagers surrounded the police station and roughed up the station in-charge Vijay Kumar and five other policemen. They also torched a car that was parked at the station.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
A Jehanabad MLA who visited the victim’s family at hospital was also roughed up and had to leave the spot. Protestors blocked road traffic between Nehalpur and Pandaul for over four hours, demanding the immediate suspension of the police station in-charge.
Jehanabad SP said, “We are investigating if the man was suffering from any serious ailment and whether he was provided with warm clothes at the lock-up.”