Bifurcation of Thane to be announced on May 1

Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat on Thursday said bifurcation of Thane district will be announced on May 1,exactly 53 years after it was carved out.

Written by Express News Service | Mumbai | Updated: April 17, 2014 10:40 am

Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat on Thursday said bifurcation of Thane district will be announced on May 1,exactly 53 years after it was carved out.

Thorat made the announcement during Question Hour when MNS leader Bala Nandgaonkar asked about the status of the proposal to bifurcate the district.

As per the 2011 census,Thane district is India’s most populous district with nearly 1.1 crore people.

The district is symbolic of India’s economic dichotomy with certain parts being prosperous while the other part populated mainly by tribals is neglected.

The proposal to split the district was mooted in 1994. For close to 18 years no decision was taken.

The present government is keen on getting the district bifurcated for easier administration.

It had asked Konkan Divisional Commissioner Vijay Nahata to submit a report on the splitting the district.

The government proposes to carve out a separate district bunching tribal and neglected areas like Jawahar,Mokahda,Talasari,Vikramgad,Wada,Palghar,Vasai and Palghar.

Urban areas of Thane,Navi Mumbai,Bhiwandi,Kalyan-Dombivli and Shahapur will for the other part.

The move will ensure better management of neglected tribal areas that are underdeveloped and have negligible industrial growth.

It will also lower hardships of most of tribals who have to travel long distances to get their work done at the Thane collectorate.

Officials claim it would cost the state between Rs 150-200 crore to carry out the bifurcation and take a year to complete the split.

Maharashtra has 35 districts. The newest districts are Gondia and Gadchiroli created in 1999. There is also a move to spilt Nashik,Ahmednagar and Dhule,too.

HC tells petitioner to add Mumbai,Vidarbha Cricket Associations as parties

Hearing a petition on pending security dues the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) owes the state government,the Bombay High Court on Thursday asked the petitioner to add the Mumbai and Vidarbha Cricket Associations as parties to the case. The court also directed that D Y Patil Stadium and Sahara be made parties.

This was in response to the BCCI stand disputing its liability. The Board claimed that the stadium owners and franchises are also responsible for paying the dues.

Arguing for petitioner Santosh Pachalag,lawyer Ganesh Sovani questioned as to why Rs 40 lakh has been paid so far by the Board to the state government,in view of this stand. The petitioner claimed the BCCI owes Rs 5 crore to the Navi Mumbai police and Rs 2.1 crore to Nagpur Rural police. The petitioner is said to have received this information through RTI. The dues are for security provided for Indian Premier League (IPL) matches in 2010.

In a previous hearing,the court had said,“The state exchequer should not be made to suffer on account of the dispute between stakeholders,especially when best security arrangements were provided during the event,on request by the Board.”

During the hearing on Thursday,the court pointed out that although the event was organized in 2010,the state government has not yet recovered the dues. The court asked the state home department to expeditiously decide the representation made by the BCCI seeking to lower rates for security arrangements.

The case will be heard on March 26.

Video of the day

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results