Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit on Friday said Pakistan had nothing to do with the controversial meeting between journalist Ved Pratap Vaidik and Mumbai terror attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed and dismissed it as a meeting between “two private individuals”.
Basit also said his government would not take any action against Saeed as there was no hard evidence: “We do not have any evidence against him… We cannot put him in jail just to please anyone.”
Replying to questions on the issue during a Meet the Press programme at Press Club of India in New Delhi, Basit said, “Our government was not aware of this meeting and nor was the Government of India. It was a meeting between two private individuals and nothing more.”
Asked whether Pakistan intelligence agency ISI was also not aware of the meeting, he only said the Pakistani government had nothing to do with it.
On why no action was taken against the JuD chief for his alleged involvement in terror activities, the Pakistani High Commissioner said there was “no evidence” to prosecute Saeed.
The Pakistan envoy also said Prime Minister Narendra Modi would be welcomed to Pakistan whenever he wishes to visit. He added that both sides are in touch for a meeting between their foreign secretaries.
“Modi will be welcomed whenever he comes to Pakistan… We hope the high-level visit will take place,” Basit said.
He said Pakistan was in touch with India for a meeting between their foreign secretaries as had been decided during talks between Modi and Sharif. “We are in touch with each other and things are moving forward,” Basit said.
On Friday, the first question to the AAP was related to its “anti-national activities”.