Uttarakhand CM Vijay Bahuguna is likely to resign on Friday to pave the way for formal selection of his successor. A meeting of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) will be held on February 1 to elect its new leader. The Congress leadership has initiated an exercise to build a consensus among party MLAs for Union Minister Harish Rawat as Bahuguna’s successor.
On Thursday, AICC secretary and UP MLA Sanjay Kapur, co-incharge of Uttarakhand Pradesh Congress Committee, reached Dehradun. Kapur said uncertainty over Bahuguna’s continuation would come to an end within 48 hours. “Please wait for one more day. I will speak on this issue tomorrow,” Kapur said.
Although Rawat is the obvious choice of the party high command in view of his political base in the state’s Garhwal and Kumaon regions, there are others like Finance Minister Indira Hridyesh and Civil Supplies Minister Pritam Singh trying to get the post. “The chances of Indira or Pritam getting the top post also depend on possible resistance against Rawat from Pauri MP Satpal Maharaj camp,” a source in the Congress said. According to him, Bahuguna, Rawat and Satpal mattered in selection of Congress party’s candidates in the 2012 assembly elections.
What’s good for the Congress camp is that the Progressive Democratic Front, a platform of non-Congress MLAs who support the state government, has adopted a neutral stand over the Congress’ plan to select its new CLP leader. “We have given support to the Congress party for development of the state. It can select its new leader,” Urban Development Minister and UKD MLA Pritam Singh Panwar said. Another Independent MLA Dinesh Dhanai expressed similar view. “Hamko chehre se matlab nahin. (We have nothing to do with any individual). The Congress has right to elect its new leader. We won’t intervene in the internal matter of the Congress party,” Dhanai said.
Apart from its 33 MLAs, Congress is supported by PDF, BSP MLAs, independent MLAs and an MLA of UKD. Sources said the Rawat camp is in constant touch with PDF. Earlier, PDF was said to be unhappy with the Congress plan to replace its leader in the state without consulting it.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review