Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said that a CBI inquiry should be ordered and that ‘compensation means nothing’ after two dalit sisters were gangraped and murdered in Badaun, UP. He visited the village and met their family members as they pressed for a CBI probe and refused to take any compensation, demanding justice for their girls.
Gandhi was accompanied by AICC general secretary in-charge of Uttar Pradesh Madhusudan Mistry, state PCC chief Nirmal Khatri and chairman of AICC Scheduled Castes department K Raju. The Congress Vice President met the family at their home and also visited the site, where the bodies of the two girls were found hanging. He assured the family of all possible help, Congress leaders said.
The family members told Rahul that they don’t have faith in the state police and want a CBI probe, they said. The two victims, who were cousins and aged 14 and 15, went missing from their house on the night of May 27 and their bodies were found hanging from a mango tree in the village in Ushait area the next morning.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
This is the first visit of the Congress Vice President outside his Parliamentary constituency Amethi in Uttar Pradesh after the party’s debacle in the recent Lok Sabha polls. Pressing for a CBI probe into the incident, the family of the victims today said it was more gruesome than the December 16 gangrape case and demanded that the culprits be hanged publicly.
“We want justice and not compensation. The manner in which the entire world saw our innocent girls hanging, we want that in the same manner it should watch the culprits being hanged. They should be hanged publicly,” said the father of one of the girls.
The incident had triggered protests in the area with villagers alleging police apathy, following which an FIR was registered against seven persons. The incident also led to a nation wide furore. Home Minister Rajnath Singh was on Friday briefed by officials on the incident.
All the five main accused, including two policemen, have been arrested, police said on Saturday. Badaun is 300 km from Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow.
(With inputs from PTI)