An Ahmedabad couple just back from pilgrimage in Iraq says they escaped death only by the grace of the Almighty during the 15 days they spent in the country, including in areas under attack from the Sunni insurgent Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
Muniruddin Tirmizi (64) and his wife Zahura Begum (54), were among 14 families from Ahmedabad, Bharuch, Dholka and Palitana who went to Iraq on June 1 for ziyarat with the help of Ahmedabad-based private tour operator Safar Tours and Travels. The hotel in which the Gujarati tourists stayed in Baghdad came under a terror attack soon after they had left for Karbala, they said.
“The horror is etched in my memory and it will remain in my mind forever. The sounds of machine guns, tankers and crude bombs was something that we had so far experienced only in movies. But this was like meeting death in person. As we cowered in our hotel, military aircraft roared overhead,” Muniruddin, a retired GSRTC employee, said.
On the journey from Karbala to Najaf, the tourists were repeatedly asked at checkpoints if they were Sunni or Shia. “We told them we were Sunnis if they were Sunnis, and told them we are Shias if they were Shias. That’s how we could save our lives,” Muniruddin said.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched