- Maha defeat for Congress
- Despite odds, a consolation
- NOTA beats smaller parties, tribals use it most
- Power shift: BJP may eye co-operative bodies next
- At 88, PWP MLA Ganpatrao Deshmukh wins his 11th Assembly polls
- Many BJP ‘imports’ fail election test despite Modi rallies
- Corruption taint spurs INLD debacle, Chautala scion loses
Azam Khan urges Bukhari to reconsider his support to Congress
Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan has urged Shahi Imam of Delhi’s Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari to reconsider his decision to support Congress, saying his appeal to Muslims could divide the community.
“By an appeal favoring a faint Congress, the strength of the Muslim community or electorate will be fractured and that position would be beneficial for communal forces like BJP,” the minister said in a statement yesterday.
Bukhari had yesterday appealed to Muslims to support the Congress and ensure that secular votes are not divided.
Azam said “under present circumstances when the country’s reins are feared to be grabbed by the communal forces.I appeal you (Imam) to seriously reconsider your appeal and also not to issue any such appeal which might affect the honor of the Jama Masjid adversely due to shattering of Muslim’s oneness.”
He said since Imam was holding a very responsible position in the Islamic religious world, it is inevitable that from his side only the messages strengthening national unity should be issued.