With 32 people killed in Assam, the Centre said it is determined to curb attacks on minorities as the violence there was aimed at starting a “full-fledged communal conflagration”.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said that in the last few days, there have been wanton acts of depredation leading to death of 32 people, mostly women and children, and of them, 31 belonged to the minority community.
“These innocent lives were lost at the hands of cadres of certain group. The objective of this group seems to be aimed at starting a full-fledged communal conflagration,” he said in a statement.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Without naming NDFB(S), the Bodo militant group believed to be responsible for the violence, the Home Minister said these acts of violence have started only after the group started steadily losing its cadres either through surrender or elimination during operations when they opened fire on the forces.
“The central government cannot remain unaffected by these killings and is determined to ensure the safety and security of innocent human lives.
“This determination is all the more important since these incidents are targeted at the minorities,” he said.
Strongly condemning the acts of the militant group, Shinde said the Home Ministry has already deployed 43 companies (4300 personnel) of central armed police forces and 10 more companies (1000 personnel) are being sent.
He said Ministry of Defence also has deployed 15 columns of the army comprising of approximately 1500 soldiers.
These numbers are not fixed and can be increased as per further requirement, he said.
“My appeal to all is to maintain calm and quiet as the forces on the ground will definitely control the situation and bring the guilty to justice,” Shinde said.
He said the public leaders of both Bodo and minority community must see to it that the situation does not deteriorate.
The violence has so far claimed 32 lives in three Bodo-dominated districts — Kokrajhar, Chirang and Baska – in Assam in last three days.
The Assam government has sought an NIA probe into the violence. Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has promised to hunt down those involved in the killings.