A forest department personnel was killed while his colleague and an Assam Police constable were injured when unidentified persons from across the Nagaland border fired on the security personnel and workers who were evicting encroachers at Doldoli Reserve Forest in Assam.
“A constable of 2nd Assam Police Task Force (APTF) and two forest department personnel suffered bullet injuries when miscreants shot at them at Daldali Border Outpost (BOP) area leading to heavy exchange of fire between the two sides,” police spokesman said in Guwahati.
One of the injured forest department personnel, Arnab Baruah died on way to hospital while APTF constable and another forest personnel were admitted.
With police retaliating, the gunmen continued to fire throughout the day at the security and forest department personnel who were evicting the encroachers of Doldoli Reserve Forest land at Dikoibari, Additional Superintendent of Police Nanda Singh said.
The attackers fired from sophisticated INSAS rifles, light machine guns and rocket launchers, Singh said adding they also hurled bombs at the labourers and officials from police, forest and Karbi Anglong district administration who had jointly launched the eviction operation.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
About 150 illegally constructed houses were pulled down in the forest area falling under Diphu police station during the operation today, the ASP said.
A total of 69 illegally constructed houses under Lahorijan border outpost, 300 under Dikoi (BOP) and 70 under Sankertilla (BOP) were also demolished on Saturday.
Since January this year, Singh said anti-socials had occupied several hundred hectares of the Reserve Forest and were periodically firing on security personnel at Sankertilla, Kasiram, Lahorijan and Rangapa BOP areas.
In this connection, nine cases were registered in Diphu police station and 55 persons arrested since then, he said.