The flood situation in Assam worsened in the past two days, with incessant rains causing the Brahmaputra and several tributaries to flow above the danger level in several places. Official sources here on Sunday put the total number of affected people at over 2.87 lakhs, about a lakh have been accommodated in 118 relief camps in different districts. At least seven persons have lost their lives so far.
Dhemaji remained the worst affected with the Brahmaputra causing breaches to embankments at several places, inundating over 200 villages, and cutting off road links. Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday directed the Revenue and Disaster Management Department to rescue the marooned people and to gear up relief and rehabilitation of the flood affected people on a war-footing.
The situation was also bad in Majuli, the world’s largest inhabited river island, where 50 villages have been submerged since Saturday. The authorities have suspended boat ferry services on the Brahamaputra between Majuli and Jorhat due to rapid increase in the water level. The river also washed away portion of a bank protection at Nimatighat, posing danger to Jorhat town.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
In Arunachal Pradesh on the other hand the Siang and Subansiri have been flowing over the red mark since Saturday, while incessant rain has caused major breaches, cutting of road link to several towns. While Pangin-Pasighat, Pasighat-Mariyang, Mebo-Dhola and Pasighat-Ledum-Tene-Koyu roads have remained cut off in East Siang district, several roads in Upper Siang, Lohit and Papum Pare districts have been washed away.