Assam attacks: Toll 45, 3 still missing

Both the bodies were fished out from the Beki river in Baksa district early Sunday morning.

Written by Samudra Gupta Kashyap | Guwahati | Published:May 12, 2014 12:36 am

The toll in the three attacks in Assam’s Kokrajhar and Baksa districts last week has risen to 45 with the recovery of two more bodies on Sunday. Both the bodies were fished out from the Beki river in Baksa district early Sunday morning.

Confirming this, Assam home secretary GD Tripathi said at least three more persons are still missing after Sunday’s recovery, all from the Khagrabari village where armed miscreants had torched 53 houses and opened indiscriminate fire.

“The situation however remained peaceful in the past one week. Our focus now is on speedy rehabilitation of the homeless families and also paying them the compensation. Meanwhile, SOS Village has agreed to accommodate 15 children orphaned in the incidents of violence,” Tripathi said. SOS Village however takes only those children who have lost both parents, with Tripathi saying not more than three such children will be found.

“We have already sent a team from Guwahati to Baksa district to identify such children and then carry out the formalities with the distict child welfare committees,” said Tripathi, who also visited the relief camp at Narayanguri in Baksa district.

Video of the day

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results