Uttar Pradesh government on Friday recommended a CBI probe into the murder of Akhil Kumar Gupta, a key witness in a rape case against self-proclaimed godman Asaram Bapu. Gupta (38), who worked as a cook and personal aide of Asaram, was shot dead in Muzaffarnagar on January 11. “A CBI probe has been recommended to facilitate investigation into the murder of witness Akhil Gupta,” said Debashis Panda, principal secretary (Home) in Lucknow.
- Asaram witness murder: Charge sheet filed against prime accused
- Asaram Witness Murders: Armed with warrants, cops on way to Gujarat
- Uttar Pradesh Police to question Asaram follower who ‘killed 3 witnesses’
- In two Asaram witness killings, one method: similar gun, similar shot
- Asaram Bapu case: Father of deceased witness demands CBI probe
- BJP demands CBI inquiry into murder of witness in Asaram case
Muzaffarnagar resident Gupta was questioned by Gujarat Police in 2013 in connection with the alleged rape of two sisters in Surat, and had given a statement against Asaram. Both Asaram and his son have been booked in the case. Gupta was the second witness to be killed after Amrut Prajapati who was shot dead in June 2014. Another witness Kripal Singh was killed earlier this month. Gupta’s wife Varsha, also a witness in the case, had written to the state government requesting for CBI probe.