An army jawan has been arrested on charges of raping a woman in Kupwara district of north Kashmir, police said Sunday.
Showkat Ahmad Malik, a jawan in the 60 Battalion of the Territorial Army, was arrested by police yesterday when he was trying to flee the house of the woman in Zirhama area of Kupwara district, the police said.
Malik, a resident of nearby Trehgam area, had barged into the house of the woman last evening and allegedly raped her after gagging her mouth, the police said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
As Malik was leaving after committing the crime, the woman raised an alarm after which he was nabbed by the locals and handed over to police.
The woman was sent for medical examination while a case under Section 376 RPC (rape) was registered against Malik, the police said.