Former Defence Minister and senior Congress leader A K Antony on Wednesday criticised the Narendra Modi-led NDA government for its move to allow 100 per cent foreign investment in defence sector and alleged it was aimed at appeasing multinationals and corporates.
Speaking at a function at the KPCC office here, he said the move was not in the larger interest of the nation. It was with aimed at helping the foreign multi-nationals and Indian corporates, the Congress Working Committee member charged.
BJP government wanted to appease the multinationals and corporates and the initial days of the government was an indicator towards this, he said. The move to open the country’s defence sector for 100 per cent FDI would result in the sector being controlled by foreign forces, he said.
Antony said that despite “pressures”, the previous Manmohan Singh Government did not allow 100 per cent FDI in defence sector and limited it to 26 per cent in select areas. He also flayed the rail fare hike, saying it would only burden the common man. Plans to hike price of sugar, LPG, petrol, diesel and kerosene clearly indicated hard days were ahead for common man.
On the drubbing his party received in the Lok Sabha polls, Antony said Congress has faced many defeats in the past also, but it emerged victorious later. “The party will stage a come back under the leadership of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi,” he added.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Antony also gave full support to the anti-liquor campaign launched by KPCC President V M Sudheeran and said it had been well accepted by the people of the state.