West Bengal police have arrested from Jharkhand the absconding CPI(M) leader Anuj Pandey, an accused of the infamous Netai massacre case of 2011, in which CPI(M) activists allegedly fired upon villagers killing nine persons in West Midnapore district.
CID Special Superintendent Bharati Ghosh said Pandey, CPI(M)’s Binpur zonal committee secretary, was arrested from Chandrapura in Bokaro district of Jharkhand on Tuesday.
CID had produced Pandey before a Bokaro court and obtained a transit remand for him. He would be produced before a court in Burdwan district in West Bengal later in the day, she said.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
With Anuj Pandey’s arrest, altogether six persons were taken into custody since April 30 when five more accused in the case were captured from a hideout in Hyderabad.
The five who were arrested from Hyderabad were Dalim Pandey (Anuj’s cousin), Rathin Dandapat from whose house the firing allegedly took place, Joydeb Giri, Tapan De and Md Khaliluddin. They were all local leaders of the CPI(M).
Of the 20 accused in the case, 18 have so far been arrested while two, Fullara Mandal and Chandi Karan, are still absconding.
Nine persons were killed in indiscriminate firing allegedly from Dandapat’s house at Netai village in West Midnapore district on January 7, 2011.
The Calcutta High Court had ordered a CBI inquiry into the massacre in February, 2011 expressing dissatisfaction with a CID probe then.
After the arrests in Hyderabad, Ghosh had said the five would be handed over to the CBI.