Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare, who has been critical of nepotism in politics, has said he was not told of the Trinamool Congress’s decision to field West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek in the elections.
Speaking to The Indian Express on phone from Ralegan Siddhi, Hazare, who declared support for the TMC recently, said, “I do not know (about the decision to field Abhishek) so I cannot comment on it.
You should ask her (Mamata) about that. I have not seen the list that they have announced. Neither do I know about the rally schedule. It is being worked out by people from both sides and they will let me know where I have to visit.”
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Hazare and Banerjee are set make a joint announcement on Friday about a proposed TMC Ramlila rally on March 12.
A source close to Hazare defended the decision to field Abhishek. “This cannot be termed nepotism. It is not as if the person has been sprung on the party upon his return from abroad as has happened in many other parties. He has worked hard to reach here. That is what differentiates Mamata from the likes of Lalu Prasad Yadav and Mulayam Singh Yadav,” said a close aide of Hazare.