Amnesty International on Tuesday welcomed the Supreme Court’s ruling to recognise transgenders or eunuchs as the third category of gender and said it should provide impetus for the next government to repeal the law which criminalises unnatural sex.
In a landmark judgement, the Supreme Court recognised transgenders or eunuchs as the third category of gender and directed the Centre and states to grant them all facilities including voters ID, passport and driving licence.
“A millions lives would improve thanks to the Supreme Court’s recognition of transgender people’s human rights…This ruling has the potential to significantly alter the lives of people who have suffered oppression for years,” Amnesty International, India, said in a statement.
The rights group said the judgement “reaffirms constitutional values of inclusion and equality but as long as Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code stays on the books, discrimination and violence based on sexual orientation and gender identity will remain a threat.”
“With elections ongoing, today’s ruling should provide the impetus for a new government to repeal this absurd law,” it said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More