Union Minister Smriti Irani hit out at Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on Thursday for his attack on the NDA government over a food park project in his constituency of Amethi in Uttar Pradesh, saying he had ignored it for the last 10 years.
“The food park was announced in 2010, when the Congress government was there (at the Centre). Eight extensions were sought for the project as it was not considered viable. But did the MP take even eight steps to make the project a reality,” Irani said without naming Gandhi.
She further charged that the foundation stone laying programme for the project was organised in 2013 to “mislead” the people.
- Amethi: Smriti Irani slams Rahul Gandhi for ‘mocking development’
- Visit by BJP leaders to Amethi ensure people seeing more of Gandhi: Smriti Irani
- Ahead of Amit Shah’s visit, local Congress leader of Amethi quits to join BJP
- After Rahul Gandhi, time for BJP to raise stakes in Amethi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, attacks Rahul on food park issue
- Politics heats up Amethi ahead of Smriti Irani and Rahul Gandhi’s visit
She said that Amethi faces a slew of civic problems, a charge she had repeatedly harped on during the Lok Sabha poll campaign in 2014, when she had tried unsuccessfully to wrest the pocket borough of the Congress Vice President’s family.
“Was the MP not aware then that the project was not viable,” she added.
Without mentioning Gandhi by name, Irani kept up her tirade, saying that “an MP has hit out at the Narendra Modi government… As a person who stayed out of the country for 56 days, he is not aware how the change is also touching Amethi”.
She charged that the Congress plays the sympathy card to win votes but has ignored the interests of Amethi even as she listed out some of the developmental projects initiated in the area after the NDA government came to power.
“I had raised this issue during campaigning and I am again raising it today. Let them answer. They were in power for 10 years and did several things in their interest after joining hands with Samajwadi Party. But why did they not do any work for Amethi,” she said.