A day after two Dalits were killed in a clash with a flour mill owner and his four brothers in Allahabad, the mill owner’s 15-year-old son was found dead Saturday. The body of the boy, a Brahmin, was found near the house of the two Dalits who were shot dead on Friday, police said.
Police said it appeared that the boy, Deepak Dubey, had been beaten up and then strangled with the drawstring of his pyjamas.
The boy’s father, Vashishtha Dubey, is accused of firing and killing the Dalit youths and is currently absconding. His brothers — Rakesh, Rajesh, Suresh and Sunny — had been arrested Friday.
- Kurukshetra: Friend-suspect in Dalit girl’s rape and murder found dead
- Police expand suspect list in Haryana Dalit girl’s rape, murder, friend missing
- Haryana Dalit girl gangraped, murdered: Attackers thrust object into girl's body, says doctor
- Uttar Pradesh: Dalit BJP worker found hanging, neighbour held; land dispute suspected
- Nanded Dalit agitation: Dead boy’s father blames police beating, cops deny
- After rape, twin murders, Dalit family asks: If fields unsafe, how will we earn?
As tension escalated in the area, police forces which were deployed after the violence on Friday, were put on high alert. Deepak was found to be missing late Friday night. His relatives tried to call him on his mobile phone but got no response.
Around 7 pm Saturday, his body was found in the bushes near a poultry farm in the Naya Purwa hamlet of Mohaddipur village, stuffed in a white gunny bag. The place where it was found is barely 100 metres from the house of Rahul Bharatiya, one of the two victims of Friday’s clash.
“It is clear that the boy was badly beaten up and then strangled with a drawstring and a dupatta. There were injury marks all over his body. Though investigations are on, we suspect the other side could be involved. A forensic team has been called in and the body would be taken for a post-mortem examination,” Superintendent of Police (Trans-Yamuna) Ashutosh Mishra said.
Mishra, along with other senior officials, camped at the spot to prevent the situation from flaring up further.
The two Dalit youths were shot dead while they were protesting outside the Dubey household Friday. Police said the protesters had gathered after a Dalit youth was assaulted during an argument over Rs 4 at the floor mill.
Police suspect Deepak could have been grabbed by the mob during the protest.