The police on Sunday arrested Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (MSS) leader Akhil Gogoi for allegedly abetting and entering into a criminal conspiracy leading to self-immolation by a person here last week. The arrest triggered state-wide protest with supporters of the KMSS blocking roads and railway tracks, prompting police to cane them.
Gogoi was picked up around 4 am from his house in Chanmari after police broke open a door. The Kamrup CJM’s Court remanded him in four days’ police custody. Five other members of the KMSS were also arrested under the same charges.
SSP A P Tiwari said that altogether six FIRs have been registered in connection with the self-immolation in front of the secretariat on February 24.
Akhil Gogoi, who heads the KMSS, has been accused under Section 306 of abetting in the act leading to the death of one of his supporters, and under 120(B) of entering into a criminal conspiracy.
Pranab Boro, a member of the KMSS, had set himself on fire in front of the state secretariat during an agitation to press the issue of documents to people currently squatting on government land, forests and wetlands in the Assam capital. While the police had registered a case on its own, four FIRs were lodged by individual citizens.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest