AIADMK on Saturday said that it has disbursed over Rs 7 crore as relief to families of 244 persons who died allegedly by committing suicide following Jayaalithaa’s conviction in a graft case by a lower court last year.
The AIADMK supremo was subsequently acquitted by the Karnataka High Court on May 11.
- VK Sasikala granted 15-day parole to attend husband’s funeral
- Jayalalithaa 70th birth anniversary: PM Narendra Modi to launch Amma scooter scheme for women
- PM Modi asked me to join, save AIADMK govt: O Panneerselvam
- Dinakaran-EC bribery case: Delhi HC dismisses middleman’s bail plea
- From films to life, Tamil Nadu’s cult of the mother
- TN deaths: Jaya offers Rs 6.7 cr as relief to kin of sympathisers
“So far, Rs 7.32 crore has been given away to families of 244 persons who committed suicide and Rs two lakh to four persons towards medical treatment,” said a party release. Overall, the party has disbursed Rs 7.34 crore, it added.
Party supremo J Jayalalithaa had announced a relief of Rs three lakh each to the families of the victims, while appealing to supporters not to resort to extreme steps in the wake of her sentence.
She had been sentenced in the Rs 66.66 crore disproportionate assets case by a Bengaluru court in September last.