In a recent multi-city survey done on “millennials” — a term denoting the generation born in the ’80s and ’90s — it was found that Facebook usage in Ahmedabad is among the highest in the country, with around 94.12 per cent youngsters in city reported to be registered with the site.
A release on the survey, which was shared with the paper, cited that while 80.94 per cent youngsters listed Facebook as their most preferred social networking site, it was followed by Google+ (19.97), others (4.19%) and Twitter (3.19%), Linkedin (0.28 %) among other social networking sites.
As per the release, the TCS GenY survey was undertaken during the nationwide TCS IT Wiz programme held between July to December 2013 across 14 Indian cities including Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Indore, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur and Pune where a total base of 18,196 high school students of 12-18 age group was garnered. The primary data was collected from the participants by means of a questionnaire at each of the locations.
Citing that it was a fun way to communicate with their friends as the top response, around 74.02 per cent youngsters in Ahmedabad said they had Facebook accounts and 35.91 per cent said they posted more than three times a week on it.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Around 73.09 per cent youngsters reported having more than 120 friends on FB. The survey also found that around 80.19 per cent of them said they that did not have Twitter accounts and around 79.89 per cent said that they would “somewhat agree” that social media made them aware of current events. Interestingly, around 43.53 teenagers also strongly agreed to the statement that “social media means that I don’t meet friends very often”.
Around 69.42 per cent said their favourite way to access social media sites is through PC and 23.98 per cent by smart phones. Among all respondents who own mobile phones, Ahmedabad stood highest at 95.12 percentage, while usage of mobiles stood at 71.12 which was also significantly higher than other metros. IT (42.87%) and Engineering (22.98%) remained the top career choices while students aspiring for government jobs (9.01%) here are higher than the national average(5.03%).