Massimiliano Latorre, one of the Italian marines facing murder charges in India, has submitted a request to the Supreme Court to allow him to return to Italy for his “more rapid and complete recovery” after he suffered a condition similar to a mild stroke.
Latorre’s lawyers have submitted a request to the Supreme Court of India for his return to Italy to allow his more rapid and complete recovery, ANSA News Agency reported quoting Italian Defence Ministry.
An initial hearing is scheduled for Monday. The request for return of chief Latorre is “motivated by the illness that necessitated admission (last Sunday) in a hospital in New Delhi, the agency said.
Latorre was hospitalised with a condition similar to a mild stroke earlier this week and Italian Defence Minister Roberta Pinotti also flew to check on his condition and to show support for his family members, who are with him in India.
The marine has been responding well to treatment in the neurology department after he lost consciousness due to mild cerebral ischemia, or restriction of blood supply, the doctors were quoted as saying by the news agency.
After the incident, Italian Foreign Minister Federica Mogherini had said in Rome, “As it has always been in these months, we follow the case of the two marine riflemen every day, with the aim of bringing them back to Italy, it is a priority for the government.”
“I feel close to Massimiliano Latorre and I wish with all my heart that he can get back as soon as possible,” Mogherini had said in a statement. Latorre and Salvatore Girone are charged with murder of two Indian fishermen during an anti-piracy mission while guarding the privately owned Italian-flagged oil-tanker MT Enrica Lexie off the coast of Kerala on February 15, 2012.
They are living at the Italian embassy here after being detained two-and-a-half-years ago. Rome has protested the long series of delays in the case, which has soured diplomatic ties between Italy and India.