Two sisters from Rateu village, 100 km from Barmer, were raped by three youths on August 16 while they were returning from the police station where they lodged a complaint against their uncle for repeated harassment.
The sisters, aged 18 and 20, were allegedly socially ostracised by the villagers after their siblings were arrested for the murder of their cousin. Since the killing, locals say, the girls were also being harassed by their uncle.
On August 16 after filing a complaint against their uncle, they were walking down the 10-km stretch from the main road to their village when the accused, who were allegedly inebriated, attacked them.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
The victims have bite marks on their body and serious injuries to their private parts, police officials said. “Medical reports confirm rape. We have already nabbed two of the accused, Birda Ram and Chatura Ram, while the involvement of a third is being probed,” Barmer SP Hemant Sharma told The Indian Express.
“The victims in their handwritten complaint on August 17 mentioned attempt to rape. Later on Wednesday they approached me and reported rape. The relevant section has been added to the original complaint,” he said.
While Sharma maintained that the accused are not related to the victims and the incident might not have been pre-planned, locals in the village said that the girls’ relatives might have incited the youths to commit the crime.