Two days after the AIB ran into trouble with authorities for their show ‘AIB Knockout‘, one of the participating comics Aditi Mittal’s show at a restaurant in south Mumbai on Wednesday evening was cancelled following threats by a group of workers from a political outfit.
While the restaurant management refused to reveal the names of the political group, Krishna Prakash, Additional Commissioner of Police (South) said the workers were part of the NCP’s student wing.
The management at Cheval Bar & Restaurant, where the event was scheduled to be held, said that political workers reached the restaurant located in Kala Ghoda and created a ruckus, demanding that the show, scheduled for 9.30 pm Wednesday, be cancelled. Mittal was to perform at the venue with a few other stand-up comics.
“We asked the political workers if they had a problem because Aditi Mittal was performing, and if we could go on with the show by replacing her. But they told us either way they would not let us host the event and that if we went ahead, they would disrupt it,” said a member of the restaurant’s management.
- AIB Knockout: Bombay HC refuses interim relief to Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor
- AIB roast row: Mumbai HC refuses interim relief to Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor
- ‘AIB Knockout’ case: Bombay HC refuses interim relief to Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor
- Nothing serious about it: R Balki on AIB Knockout
- AIB Knockout: Ram Gopal Varma ‘appreciates’ Karan Johar for the ‘roasting’
- AIB row: Censor Board’s Ashoke Pandit needs a mouthwash
The restaurant’s owners, however, did not approach the police or file a complaint, instead choosing to cancel the event “to ensure the safety of the clients, performers and the property”. Mumbai Police acknowledged that Aditi Mittal’s show was cancelled on Wednesday but denied that it was due to a protest.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Dhananjay Kamalakar said none of the organisers of stand-up comedy programs had so far approached the police seeking protection. “I have only just come to know that these shows have been cancelled. I will have to look into this,” he said.