Several issues ranging from adequate relief to landslide victims in Pune district to efforts for release of an Indian Christian priest abducted in Afghanistan and creation of a separate Poorvanchal state were raised in the Lok Sabha on Thursday.
Vinayak Raut (Shiv Sena) pleaded for appropriate relief to the victims of the landslide and preventive measures to avert recurrence of such devastation in the Western Ghats.
AIADMK member P R Senthilnathan wanted the government to take steps to ensure early return of an Indian Jesuit priest working in western Herat province of Afghanistan, who was abducted in May. BJP member Chhedi Paswan demanded creation of separate state of Poorvanchal, consisting of some districts of eastern Uttar Pradesh and Bihar and “dominated” by Bhojpuri-speaking people.
Boora Narsaiah Goud (TRS) emphasised the need to give more teeth to the National Commission for Backward Classes by giving it constitutional status to ensure fair deal to the backwards who, he said, constituted more than half the population of the country. Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury (Cong) sought an action plan to take care of the abandoned railway quarters and properties, which he alleged have become dens of all kinds of criminal activities.
BJP member Nalin Kumar Kateel asked the government to “drop the idea” of going ahead with three super thermal power plants in Dakshin Kannada, saying agitations were going on against the projects which would deplete water reserves and affect farming in large tracts of fertile land. His party colleague Om Birla wanted government to have test centres for engineering and medical admissions in Kota where thousands of students come regularly for coaching.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016