Trinamool Congress MP Arpita Ghosh had an ‘Indecent Proposal’ for party colleague and state Minister for Tourism Bratya Basu. And Basu has accepted it.
A known theatre personality, Ghosh is directing her first feature film. It will be a Bangla remake of the 1993 Adrian Lyne hit, that starred Robert Redford, Demi Moore and Woody Harrelson. And in the role of John Gage, who offered $1 million for a night with another man’s wife, would be Basu.
Ghosh has decided on the title — ‘Prastab’, meaning proposal. While Redford played Gage in the 1993 Indecent Proposal, the woman he propositioned was played by Moore. Harrelson played her husband. The latter two characters in Prastab are likely to be played by upcoming actor Tridha Choudhury and Ritwik Chakrabarty, respectively.
“Basu is not merely my party colleague and a minister, he is also an excellent actor. I thought he would fit the character,” Ghosh said.
“Three of my films will release in November. So the film I will be working on next is Arpita’s Prastab,” Basu told The Sunday Express.
Ghosh feels the subject of the film is just right given the “changing values” in society. “It will be just a ‘Bangikaran (setting of the film in Bengali society and culture)’, as I have seen and heard situations such as the one in the Hollywood film in today’s Bengal. Our value system is changing fast and relationships are getting complicated.”
The MP said she is currently reading the novel by Jack Engelhard on which the Hollywood film was based, and would buy the book rights too. “Though I have seen the film several times, I had not read the book. I am talking to a few producers, all of whom have shown interest,” she said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Ghosh, who has directed plays such as Pashukhamar and Nathbathi Anathbat earlier, plans to start shooting in February, once free from Parliament duties.
Basu is equally excited to start shooting, and says he has seen the Hollywood version several times. “I am a fan of Lyne. He is a great filmmaker. I saw his Fatal Attraction (1987) several times.”
Though the political fortunes of the 44-year-old minister, a former professor of Bangla, suffered a setback in May when he was moved from the high-profile Department of Education to Tourism, his career in theatre and films has remained on the upswing. Among all the Trinamool Congress leaders with a celluloid brackground, he has been the most active on stage and in films.
Basu, who set up theatre group Bratyajon in 2008, has acted in plays and also films which have largely been acclaimed by critics.
While Tridha, who is yet to say yes to Prastab, has to her credit only two releases so far — Mishor Rahashya and Jodi Love Dile Naa Prane — she is considered a fast-rising actor in the industry.
Tridha said though she was really excited to “do a role essayed by Demi Moore” and has “great respect for Bratyadi and Arpitadi”, she would read the script carefully before giving the final nod.
The original Indecent Proposal is remembered both for its steamy scenes and its controversial storyline. “Of course I will not be ready to act in scenes where I will not be comfortable,” Tridha said. “You know what I mean.”