The Human Development Report for 2014 reintroduces a gender development index based on a sex-disaggregated HDI, defined as the ratio of the female HDI to the male HDI. GDI measures gender inequalities in achieving the three basic dimensions of human development. GDI was part of the report till 2010 but had then been taken out.
With a female HDI of 0.519 and a male HDI for 0.627, India’s GDI is 0.828. Bangladesh has a GDI of 0.908 — it has a better female HDI than India’s — and Pakistan has 0.750. Pakistan, incidentally, has the lowest female HDI in the region.
Three other broad indices that the report gives out are a multidimensional poverty index, a gender inequality index, and an inequality-adjusted HDI. All three were introduced for the first time in 2010.
MPI identifies multiple deprivations in the same household in education, health and living standards.
Gender inequality index reflects gender-based inequalities in three dimensions — reproductive health, empowerment and economic activity. Reproductive health is measured by maternal mortality and adolescent birth rates; empowerment is measured by the share of parliamentary seats held by women and attainment in secondary and higher education by gender; and economic activity is measured by the labour market participation rate for women and men.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review