Senior Congress leader and former Punjab chief minister Captain Amarinder Singh Friday said he had heard the names of five party leaders, including Sajjan Kumar, when he met victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in Delhi.
In reply to Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal’s demand that Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi should name the party leaders who were responsible for the riots, Amarinder said, “I was in Delhi from November 1 to 3 after the riots broke out on the night of October 31, 1984 and visited all the refugees who had taken shelter in various gurdwaras there. The names I heard were H K L Bhagat, Dharam Dass Shastri, Arjun Dass, Lalit Maken and Sajjan Kumar.”
Taking the issue further, he said he had also heard the names of several BJP and RSS leaders who were allegedly involved in the riots.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
“Let me tell you I heard the names of several BJP and RSS leaders… who were involved in the riots, but you have maintained a sheepish silence on their involvement just because they are your alliance partners and your survival is dependent on them,” Amarinder said, referring to the SAD-BJP government in the state.
He said that 14 FIRs were registered against 49 BJP and RSS leaders for their roles in the anti-Sikh riots. Accusing Chief Minister Badal of trying to gain political mileage out of a sensitive situation and blaming him for various acts of omission and commission before and after Operation Bluestar, Amarinder said that Badal had run away from the situation and hid himself in his farmhouse in Bazpur, now in Uttrakhand.
He also asked the chief minister as why so far he has not uttered a single word against the killing of 35,000 innocent people who died in Punjab during the days of militancy. “Why such cold indifference towards those who were dragged out of buses and trains and mercilessly massacred?”