Hearing a case in which a 78-year-old woman has been charged with molesting another woman, the Bombay High Court on Monday asked the prosecution and the petitioner, which happens to be the accused here, to find out if a woman can be booked under such a charge. The court also directed them to check laws of other countries and see if there was any provision for punishment against women for the offence.
In her petition, Vimlabai Shah (78), a resident of Borivali (West), stated that on February 27, 2010, police booked her and her family members under section 354 (molestation) of the IPC on the complaint of one 55-year-old Prabha Jain. She alleged that the police, especially Inspector N M More of Borivali police station, was working in tandem with those who wanted to settle scores with her family.
According to Shah, her son-in-law Kirti Padechia had sent a notice to one Suryakant Sharma for illegal transfer of flat when he was the secretary of Shashi Tara Apartment.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
In retaliation, the petition alleged, Sharma conspired against Shah family and got More to book them in a molestation case. According to the petition, the woman had registered the complaint with the police in order to pressure the Shah family to
withdraw an earlier complaint against her.
“Shah is aged about 78 years and is bedridden. How could have a senior citizen be accused of molestation?” the petition said.
The next hearing in the case is scheduled for June.