A 72-hour statewide total bandh was clamped on poll-bound Mizoram from 5 am Monday morning with just a trickle of poll officials scheduled to leave capital Aizawl to head for rural polling stations having assembled at a designated meeting point, a senior police official said.
Mizoram goes to polls for it’s lone Lok Sabha seat on Wednesday, April 9, but mass-based voluntary Mizo organizations have called for a boycott of the polls and imposed the bandh to protest against the ECI’s decision to allow displaced Brus to vote in the elections from neighboring Tripura.
“There are just a handful of officials as of now at High Field although many of them were scheduled to start from here at 7 am. Only policemen are to be seen, and most of the officials have called in to say they cannot come because of the bandh,” the police officer said at half-past 7.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Meanwhile public information systems have been calling out volunteers to report for duty at major streets and road links to block any vehicular movement or other activity. There has been no reports of violence so far.