There is a flurry of activity at two of the VIP bungalows in the Lutyen’s Zone of the national capital, with one preparing to bid farewell to its special guest of 10 years while the other is being decked up to welcome its new resident.
A sprawling bungalow at 3, Motilal Nehru Road, will now be the new abode of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, once he retires after Lok Sabha elections and the PMO said that the work is almost completed at the new address where he is to move in.
“The Motilal Nehru Road bungalow is almost ready to move in. Shifting of stuff from the official residence to the new place is underway. Lot of stuff has been shifted and more is on its way,” Media Adviser to Prime Minister Singh, Pankaj Pachauri, told PTI.
“Prime Minister’s wife Gursharan Kaur has herself been visiting the new bungalow to oversee the work being done there,” he said.
A new sentry post has been erected at the main entrance while inside, horticulture staff are busy manicuring the lawns. Stone slabs and other raw materials were also seen being wheeled into the premises.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Work on putting up the security cabin at the main gate is also underway.
But, movement isn’t just at the new address. 7, Race Course Road, the official residence of the Prime Minister is also busy packing up, books, flower vases and gifts given to Singh, a Rajya Sabha MP, for whom the pristine bungalow has been home during two successive terms of the UPA government.
All gift items received by the Prime Minister, including many from foreign dignitaries, are being systematically listed. While Singh is taking away some gifts with him, the rest he is leaving behind and they will be kept at the ‘toshakhana’.
Among articles that Singh is taking along are some books, four to five carpets and a few tea sets. Among other items, Singh had also received a bat gifted by British Prime Minister David Cameron, which he is leaving behind at the official residence, he said.
After serving as the office for the government for 10 years, the PMO too is getting refurbished and the upholstery, etc. is being changed there too, he added.
Pachuari said that Singh would shift to the new bungalow as soon as the next incumbent takes oath.
The residence at 3, Motilal Nehru Marg, a type VIII bungalow which comes under the CPWD and is spread over 2.5 acres, was vacated by former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit recently.