After more than 50 years, a committee of India Meteorological Department (IMD) scientists is working on redetermining onset dates of the monsoon across different states. The normal onset date for Kerala, however, will remain unchanged at June 1.
“Work is in the preliminary stage and we are collating data and reworking dates for every state. For example the normal dates for Maharashtra (June 10) and Delhi (June 29) are all being looked at,” said IMD deputy director general Medha Khole. She would not set a time for when the new dates will start being followed.
Khole said the committee, of which she too is a member, noted that the current onset dates are based on rainfall data from 1901 to 1940 collected from 150 stations. The onset date being key to agriculture and water resources management, the committee felt a revision is necessary. “This year too the onset date was delayed to June 6 as against June 1,” said an official.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The study being carried out is based on rainfall data between 1971 and 2000. The new normal is being derived using rainfall data of 569 stations.