Five police personnel and three polling officials were killed when suspected Maoists targeted the bus in which they were travelling in Sikaripara block of Dumka district on Thursday evening.
According to officials, the incident occurred at around 4.30 pm, when an IED placed under a bridge went off as the bus was passing over it. The Maoists are also reported to have fired at the team, which was returning from a polling booth in Asna village.
Ten people were injured in the attack. Security personnel took a couple of hours to reach the spot.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Shivshankar Rajak, whose father was one of the polling officials, said, “My father, Ram Pratap Rajak, called up my mother at around 6 pm and said he had received a bullet injury on his leg. He said he had lost a lot of blood.”
While some parts of Jharkhand voted in two phases held earlier, polling for the Dumka, Rajmahal, Godda and Dhanbad Lok Sabha seats was held on Thursday.