Three visually impaired students of Greenfield School for Blind landed in hospital at Achampet in Kakinada on Monday morning, after their school coordinator mercilessly thrashed them for talking in class.
Horrifying visuals of the incident of corporal punishment, recorded on a mobile phone, were leaked out by a staff member, sparking outrage and protests.
School coordinator K V Rao thrashed the students, all below 10 years, with a cane, while they begged for mercy, pleaded that they would not talk in class again, fell on his feet and cried out loudly that they could not bear it anymore. But all the pleas merely fell on deaf ears.
Hearing the cries, an official said, other staff members rushed to the spot. By then the cane was broken and Rao had pinned down one of the students by his head to the floor.
According to school officials, the incident took place after a teacher complained to the principal K Srinivas on Monday morning, that three students were causing mischief in class. The principal handed the trio to Rao asking him to mete out punishment.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Later, with cuts and bruises, the traumatised kids were admitted to hospital.
Parents of the students who saw the visuals on a local news channel stormed to the school and roughed up coordinator Rao and principal Srinivas. Police have registered a case against the duo and have also arrested them.
According to Kakinada MLA P Ananta Lakshmi, the school coordinator is also visually impaired. She said, “The three children, all below 10 years, were mercilessly beaten by Rao. He was assisted by the principal who encouraged him.
Parents send these children to this special residential school thinking that it will take good care of them,’’ she said.
Meanwhile, Ravela Kishore Babu, Minister for Social Welfare and Empowerment, said he had directed the District Education Officer and District Collector to conduct an inquiry.