At least a dozen people were injured in a communal clash that lasted for nearly two hours in Meerut on Saturday. Three of the injured are reported to have suffered bullet injuries, and one is said to be critical.
According to reports, the violence started after a scuffle between Hindus and Muslims over putting up a fence around a well outside a mosque in Teergaraan area here. The clashes then spread to the nearby areas of Bazaza Bazar, Lala Bazar and Budhana gate. Both the groups are alleged to have fired at each other.
BJP corporator Vijay Anand, who was among the first to reach Teergaraan, was allegedly manhandled and his motorcycle was set on fire.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
“I reached the place carrying a copy of the local court verdict which banned any construction around the well. The court held that it is a public property as a Jain temple is also located in the area. Nobody paid heed to me. They pushed me aside and set my bike ablaze while the police took no action,” alleged Anand.
Local BJP leaders uploaded photographs of the youth who is reported to be critically injured on Facebook and WhatsApp.
Party supporters, led by Meerut Mayor Ravikant Ahluwallia, staged protests in the affected area.
“The police did not react in time, as a result of which the clash escalated. The local police are operating at the behest of the ruling party as they remained soft towards members of the minority community who started the trouble,” alleged Ahluwallia.