At least a dozen people were injured in a communal clash that lasted for nearly two hours in Meerut on Saturday. Three of the injured are reported to have suffered bullet injuries, and one is said to be critical.
According to reports, the violence started after a scuffle between Hindus and Muslims over putting up a fence around a well outside a mosque in Teergaraan area here. The clashes then spread to the nearby areas of Bazaza Bazar, Lala Bazar and Budhana gate. Both the groups are alleged to have fired at each other.
BJP corporator Vijay Anand, who was among the first to reach Teergaraan, was allegedly manhandled and his motorcycle was set on fire.
“I reached the place carrying a copy of the local court verdict which banned any construction around the well. The court held that it is a public property as a Jain temple is also located in the area. Nobody paid heed to me. They pushed me aside and set my bike ablaze while the police took no action,” alleged Anand.
Local BJP leaders uploaded photographs of the youth who is reported to be critically injured on Facebook and WhatsApp.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Party supporters, led by Meerut Mayor Ravikant Ahluwallia, staged protests in the affected area.
“The police did not react in time, as a result of which the clash escalated. The local police are operating at the behest of the ruling party as they remained soft towards members of the minority community who started the trouble,” alleged Ahluwallia.