2G Case: Supreme Court allows new CBI chief Anil Kumar Sinha to take charge of probe

A bench headed by CJ Dattu allowed that the new CBI chief will be allowed to oversee the 2G cases.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: December 16, 2014 5:09 am
CBI Director Anil Kumar Sinha (Source: PTI photo) CBI Director Anil Kumar Sinha (Source: PTI photo)

The Supreme Court on Monday permitted new CBI Director Anil Kumar Sinha to take charge of the 2G spectrum scam cases, after vacating its last month’s order on restraining his predecessor Ranjit Sinha from interfering with the probe and the prosecution in the case.

Ranjit Sinha was removed from the probe in the wake of allegations that he sought to protect some of the accused in the case.

The accusations found basis in a visitors’ logbook at his Delhi residence, which showed frequent visits by some of the accused in the 2G and coal block cases among others.

The court had observed that allegations made against the former CBI chief “seemed prima facie credible”, and, in an unprecedented move, issued a restraint order against him.

The next senior-most officers of the investigation team, the court had said, would take over from Sinha and continue proceedings.

On Monday, senior advocate K K Venugopal, representing the CBI, requested a bench led by Chief Justice of India H L Dattu to permit the new Central Bureau of Investigation chief oversee the 2G cases and vacate the previous order.

“We are informed by K K Venugopal, appearing for the CBI, that Anil Kumar Sinha has been appointed as the Central Bureau of Investigation Director. In lieu of the subsequent development, we permit him to take over the investigation in the case,” said the bench.

Video of the day

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results