A total of 24,771 dowry deaths have been reported in the country in past three years with maximum of them occurring in Uttar Pradesh with 7,048 deaths.
In a written reply in Lok Sabha, Women and Child Development Ministry Maneka Gandhi said that 8,233, 8,083, and 8,455 cases were registered under section 304B of the Indian Penal Code (Dowry Death) in the country in 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively.
- Dowry, child marriage: Govt, Opposition take stock of Bihar CM Nitish Kumar's new planks
- To invite me for a wedding, speak out that no dowry has been taken: Bihar CM Nitish Kumar
- JDU leader accused of killing daughter-in-law for dowry
- 498A, battered
- Kerala records highest dengue deaths at 18 this year, over 10,000 affected: Govt to Rajya Sabha
- Infographic: Andhra Pradesh tops list in dowry cases in 2012
Uttar Pradesh is followed by Bihar and Madhya Pradesh with 3,830 and 2,252 deaths during the same period.
As per National Crime Records Bureau data, the country has recorded 3.48 lakh cases of cruelty by husband or his relative and West Bengal tops the chart with 61,259 such cases in past three years, followed by Rajasthan (44,311) and Andhra Pradesh (34,835).
“Government conducts awareness generation programmes and publicity campaigns on various laws relating to women including Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 through workshops, fairs, cultural and training programmes, seminars etc,” the Minister said.