With the state Information Commission finding irregularities in disbursal of funds meant for relief operations in Uttarakhand post the 2013 floods, Opposition BJP on Saturday demanded resignation by state government and sought a CBI probe into the alleged “loot” of aid money.
“Our stand has been vindicated by the findings of the Information Commission in response to an RTI query. We have all along been demanding a white paper and a CBI probe into the distribution of relief material in the state in the wake of the tragedy,” Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Ajay Bhatt said.
- What happened during 2013 Kedarnath tragedy?
- Paddy, rice scam: Congress slams Trivendra Rawat govt over ‘vendetta politics’
- Uttarakhand: Congress lashes out at Trivendra Rawat govt over corruption
- Centre will ensure Uttarakhand faces no dearth of devplopment fund: Amit Shah
- No action taken in NGO scam; Bihar CM, Deputy CM should resign, demands Lalu Prasad
- BJP demands CBI probe into misuse of Uttarakhand flood relief funds
“We always smelt the rat the way the entire exercise was being carried out,” Bhatt said.
Alleging that the “scam” was committed by “insensitive” officials in connivance with government functionaries, he said huge amounts were received as assistance by the state from all over the world but no one knows where it went.
“We always said that money pouring in from different directions was being pocketed by people involved in distribution of relief but no one paid attention to us,” he said.
“If the state government has even an iota of morality left in it, it should recommend a CBI probe into the scam and resign owning moral responsibility for the ugly loot of money meant for people struck by an unprecedented tragedy,” he said.
Earlier in the day, Chief Minister Harish Rawat ordered an inquiry into alleged inflated and forged bills submitted by state government officials during the relief works of 2013 floods.
The scam surfaced during the hearing carried out by State Information Commissioner Anil Sharma where an RTI petitioner submitted documents showing massive irregularities.