Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014

2002 riots case: Zakia moves HC against SIT clean chit to Modi

Express News Service | Ahmedabad | Posted: March 19, 2014 12:55 am

Zakia Jafri, widow of former Congress MP Ahsan Jafri who was killed in the 2002 Gulberg Society massacre, Tuesday moved Gujarat High Court challenging a magisterial court order that upheld the clean chit given to Chief Minister Narendra Modi and 59 others by the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) on their alleged complicity in the 2002 riots. The petition is expected to come up for hearing March 20.

In her petition before the magisterial court of Ahmedabad Metropolitan Court, Jafri had sought to arraign Modi and 59 others under the charges of criminal conspiracy, abetment to commit mass murder, arson and rape and also for tampering with evidence and destroying valuable records of the Home Department.

Activist Teesta Setalvad, who is assisting Jafri, said the petition, which runs into around 540 pages, was filed last week. In a press release, Setalvad said the petition has laid out substantive grounds for rejecting the Ahmedabad Metropolitan Court order.

On December 26 last year, the court of Magistrate B J Ganatra had dismissed Jafri’s protest petition against the SIT report. “The Metropolitan Magistrate committed a fundamental error in law and on facts in failing to exercise his jurisdiction. By not dealing with the substantive arguments laid down by Jafri in written and oral submissions, the Judge has simply accepted the contentions in the closure report with a non-application of mind,” Setalvad said in the release.

Cops oppose Teesta bail, say no need to drag Modi

AHMEDABAD: The Detection of Crime Branch, Ahmedabad, Tuesday objected to Mumbai-based activist Teesta Setalvad dragging Gujarat CM and BJP’s PM candidate Narendra Modi into the case against her, her husband Javed Anand, Tanvir Jafri, the son of slain ex-MP Ahsan Jafri, and two others of misappropriating foreign funds meant for 2002 riot victims.

In an affidavit filed Tuesday which claimed fresh evidence against Setalvad, the DCB contended that “Modi is in no way concerned with the accused or with the matter and such tactics of maligning high constitutional functionaries, it is respectfully prayed, ought to be strongly deprecated”. The court has reserved the order for March 26.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping